Today we live in an increasingly scientific and technological society therefore children need to acquire the appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes to prepare them for life in the 21st century.
Science involves the systematic investigation of the physical, chemical and biological aspects of the world, and relies on first hand practical experience and interpretation of other sources of information, in order to understand, solve and accurately record problems.
At Gordon Primary School, we believe that the teaching of Science develops in children an interest and curiosity about the world in which they live, and fosters in them a respect for the environment. Both the scientific process and the problem solving activities will be used to deepen the pupils’ understanding of the concepts involved.
Through the framework of the National Curriculum, Science aims to:
- Develop pupil’s enjoyment and interest in Science and to build on their enthusiasm and natural sense of wonder about the world
- Develop pupil’s understanding of key scientific concepts and scientific skills
- Enable pupils to effectively communicate scientific ideas by using an accurate scientific vocabulary
- Develop, through practical work, the skills of: investigation, observation, prediction, pattern seeking, comparing, classifying, interpretation, communication, questioning and hypothesizing
- Increase the use of precise measurement and data logging
- Encourage and enable pupils to offer their own suggestions, and to be creative in their approach to science, and to gain enjoyment from their scientific work
- Develop positive attitudes which encourage collaborative learning, and to encourage where possible, ways for children to explore science in forms that are relevant and meaningful to them
- Encourage children to collect relevant evidence, to persevere in and to question outcome of their enquiries
- Encourage children to treat the living and non-living environment with respect and sensitivity
- Stress the need for personal and group safety by the correct usage and storage of resources
- Enable children to appreciate that we do not always know the answers and results when carrying out scientific enquiry
In these pages, we aim to share some of the work we are doing within our Science curriculum and provide you with materials and resources to help you support your child's learning at home.